Elijah is being potty trained. I decided to take the plunge two weeks ago on a Thursday when school was closed due to "bandh" (strike) and Monday was a holiday due to India's Independence Day. It gave us five straight days to begin the training process. I also thought it would be good to get started before the cold months come as it will be pretty chilly inside and he wouldn't be able to run around bare bottom or with just an underwear on.
I am pleased with the progress so far. He is very motivated by the reward of chocolate chips. I had no idea that chocolate chips can be so motivating for a two and a half year old! Today, we had hard time getting him off the potty because he wanted to sit there until there was some bowel movement. We told him that he can go back after he eats and try again because we're certain he will need to pee pee or poo poo. No, he wanted to sit there and was getting all frustrated because he couldn't make himself pee or do the deed. I guess he really wanted the chocolate chip. We eventually got him to agree to come to the breakfast table and as we told him, he got his chocolate chip after breakfast because he went to the potty afterward. :)
We are finding that if he's not wearing anything, he can usually take himself to the potty. If he's wearing an underwear or a training pull-ups, if he has to go, he starts to squirm and put his legs together. I usually catch it and ask him if he needs to go and he would answer yes. We have not had very many accidents. It has been A LOT easier than I thought it would be. Thank God!
We will see how it goes but so far, he is doing very well. His new favorite books on the iPad (besides his dinosaur book) are books about potty training. He loves to read them. I am so grateful that we have the iPad because we are able to download books. I had absolutely no books on potty training (for kids and adults) so it was nice to be able to purchase on line and get them right then!
I am looking forward to saving money on diaper costs! We're already saving a lot with the girls by using cloth diapers at home and we will even more once Elijah is fully potty trained!
No comments:
Post a Comment