Saturday, February 26, 2011

So close....

to being discharged, but it won't be happening today or tomorrow. Rena has been having heart rate dips with bottle feeding. She would stop breathing and then her mouth would get all blue. It happened today as I was bottle feeding her and I had to stir her up a bit to get her breathing again. I'm not sure why it only happens when she's bottle feeding because it has yet to happen when I nurse her. I've talked with the nurses there and they think it has something to do with the flow of the milk and her ability to control and coordinate... The physical therapist said that the little piece of skin that attaches your tongue to the floor of your mouth is a little short for Rena. It's not to the point where she needs a surgery, but she thinks that it might be affecting her ability to suck, swallow, and coordinate her mouth. Sophianne had a couple of episodes yesterday but none today so far. Rena seems to be having an episode at each feeding.

The head doctor said maybe one of them will be coming home sooner and the odd thing is that Sophianne might be the one, even though she was the one that we all thought would be following her sister's discharge. The world of NICU is very unpredictable, it seems. We'll just have to continue to pray and trust that God will have them come home when it is best for them to come home. For now, the whole family is sick so I'm praying that we will get better soon before the girls are discharged from the hospital.

2 comments:

  1. the nurse noticed that kiara's frenum (web thing under the tongue) was short within half an hour of my being in teh post-partum room. the next morning, the pediatricians snipped it. a simple snip w/ scissors. not by me,of course. not sure if it affected her feeding, ,but thught it was better to just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you sis....we are praying for the girls. see you soon.

    ReplyDelete