Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Our Three Year Old Son

Elijah has been growing in leaps and bounce. I am actually quite saddened by the fact that I have been unable to keep up with my blogs. I have been making mental notes here and there so that when I have some free moment, I can make sure to have them written down.

Recently, Elijah has been talking a lot about God speaking to him. Out of the blue he would say, "God told me..." (Of course, I can't remember everything.) But, the one thing I so distinctly remember is going to the playground where there are many different kinds of apparatus. Elijah by personality is a very cautious kid. He is not one to try new things right away. Whether it be with people, food, toys, etc. he usually needs some kind of time to get comfortable. I've encouraged him at the playground to try some of the new apparatus but he has been hesitant. However, a few weeks ago, he began trying some of the apparatus and succeeded in climbing or going down on them. He said to me out of the blue, "Mama. I was having an argument with God." I said, "What about?" He said, "I was arguing with Him because He said I should try these things. He said I can do them. I told God I can't. But He said, I can." "Mama. So I decided to try it. And, I did them all!" That day, he went on every single slide, bridge, climbing bars, etc. I was so proud of him. I might not be able to convince him that he can do it, God sure can!

He is also a very perceptive child. He listens to everything we are saying, even if he acts like he's busy. Paul and Elijah had gone swimming at that time and we had yet to process with him the possibility of us having to return to the States. Paul told me that as they were playing in the pool, Elijah says to him, "I'm having a conversation with my boats." Paul asked him, "What are you talking about?" He said, "I'm talking about whether we are going to stay in India or go to America."

Soon after, we felt like it was a good time to begin the process of talking to him about what Paul and I have been dialoguing and praying about. As we shared with him, I said to him, "Elijah, you know that ah-pa and mommy need to obey God. We are asking God to show us if he wants us to stay in India or go back to America. We want to do what God wants for our family." He responded, "I know mom." I proceeded to ask him, "What do you want to do Elijah? Do you want to stay in India or go back to America?" He said, "Stay in India.....but I want that drum we have in America." So, we have invited him to pray with us as we seek the Lord about Rena's issues and possible opportunities in the States. I believe the Lord would guide his heart too.

I've at times wondered if God has gifted Elijah with the prophetic gift. Things that come out of his mouth, I have at times felt, it is from God. Now, I can't remember everything he said, but I'll share one that I remember so vividly. One day out of the blue, he said to me, "Mom, Aunt Nancy is going to die." I was kind of surprised so I asked Paul if there is something behind what he said. Paul shared with me that they have been praying for Nancy every night for her cancer. That whole week, he kept saying, "Mom. Aunt Nancy is going to die. She's gonna die." I kept what he said in my heart and prayed for her wondering if her days here on earth was coming to an end soon. That week, we learned that she had passed away from her fight with cancer. There were some other incidents like this but now, I can't remember what they were... I pray that Elijah would grow in his prayers for people and in the prophetic gift, if it is there.

Recently, Elijah has been growing in his desire to have friends. He still doesn't initiate very much with other kids and it takes him some time to warm up to them. But, I can tell that he is growing in this area. He is in the same class with one American boy and he comes home and tells me about some of the things that happened at school. I can tell that there is a budding friendship.

This past week, he came home and said to me, "Mama. Maddie and Rebekah (two American girls who attend the same school) would not talk to me." He was pretty bothered by it because he kept repeating the same thing. "I talked to them and they said in not very nice voice, NO! I don't know why they won't talk to me?" We talked about it a little bit but he was processing the reasons why. His conclusion was, "Mama. I think they don't want to talk to me because they don't know me. They don't know where I live. It's because they don't know where I live, mama." Then, he asked me to invite them over to our house (which I am working on). I also explained to him that we can pray to Jesus about this and ask Him to help Maddie and Rebekah to become his friends. The next day, he shared that Rebekah talked to him. Thankfully, yesterday, we all went to the water park together and he was able to interact with them a little bit because it was a holiday.

I was struck by how relational Elijah is and how much it bothered him that they were not nice to him. He was working hard to try to figure out the reason. Eventually, he said, "Maybe they just don't like me." I never expected to be having a conversation about friendship and relationship with a three year old in such a complex manner....I need God to provide wisdom to guide him as he learns to build friendships.

He is a great big brother. Yes, he has his moments with his sisters--especially when they invade his space while he is building his boats with the legos. But, in general, he really loves having them around. They love him too. When he is having his tantrum or is crying, they are always wanting to comfort him. Sometimes when I can't understand what the girls are trying to say, he usually steps in and says, "Mom. She saying...." I can already see in that in another year or so, they are going to be able to really play with each other. I can tell that Elijah can also see that too. He used to ask, "Mom, when are they going to be able to walk?" Now they are walking and he loves it. The other day, he held Rena's hand as they walked, and did Rena love that! She is such a relational girl. I think she felt really loved by her brother. I am looking forward to watching our three little munchkins growing up learning to love and care for one another.

Lastly, our little boy is a nerd! Okay, maybe not. But, he LOVES doing homework. Initially, I was kind of hesitant about the Indian school system where they send homework every night and they're writing homework. But, I think he really likes the challenge even if his fine motor skill is still developing. He can't wait to do homework. Funny boy.

Yesterday, Elijah wrote his first word. He asked me how do I write "elevator?" So, I dictated the letters to him and he wrote every single letter on his own except the letter "R." I saved the piece of paper so that I can take a photo of it. Wow--I was so surprised and impressed.

My sweet Elijah is growing up quickly. How I love watching him blossom into a little boy. I love you, Elijah.


1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your reflections on Elijah. It amazes me that his personality and potential giftings are surfacing at such a young age! Thanks for sharing these stories.

    ReplyDelete